Thursday, May 15, 2008

Special Delivery

I got a call I wasn't expecting today.

I lost a good friend about six weeks ago. She was 33 and she died from uterine cancer. It was quick and tragic and traumatic for us all. Life has slowly but surely returned to a sense of normalcy, only instead of having her with us, we just have to settle for having her "with" us. Her spirit, sadly, is nowhere near as fun as she was.

I'd gotten a letter a couple of weeks back from the county fiduciary something or other saying I'd been named in her will. The will I helped her write three years ago before a surgery that was unrelated to her illness. The will we used to chase one of our co-workers around with, as she taunted "What of mine do you want when I die? Now's your chance!" It was entertainment to us in the moment. In a different light? Yeah, not so much.

So apparently she left me her wardrobe. Her entire wardrobe. And her wardrobe competes with mine as far as size goes. She and I, shopping soulmates. And her mom was in an emotional place today to want to do the purge. So she did.

Now the back of my car is filled with those closet protector things, each filled to bursting with who knows what. I wonder, is the M*A*S*H t-shirt in there? What about the pointy toed boots?

And then I wonder, do I want to wear this stuff? SHOULD I want to wear this stuff? She wanted me to have it for a reason, right?

I don't know the etiquette here...help?

4 comments:

Jess said...

I have no idea about the etiquette. :( I'm so sorry.

Mrs. Red said...

It's awful that you lost her like that. If you are able to emotionally, I think you should go thru the clothes and find the stuff you really love and keep it...and wear it. And think of her whenever you wear a piece you got from her. Don't be sad every time you see them. Think of the good times and remember what an awesome friend she was and that she's is in a better place now, free from pain. JMHO {{HUGS}}

Anonymous said...

Wear them, enjoy them, and think of her. She wanted you to have her wardrobe, and I'm sure wherever she is, she thinks you'd look sassy in her clothes. (((HUGS)))

Jenn said...

I have to agree. Wear the items and remember the good times. What a neat thing for her to leave you...especially since you shopped for a lot of it together. I bet there are some stories you could share about those adventures.

{{{HUGS}}}