Friday, June 27, 2008

Size matters

What is up with shoe stores?

I mean, seriously. I know more women who wear size 9 and up shoes than I do women who wear under a 9.

Why do the shoe stores generally stop at size 10?

I am desperate for new black slides. Mine are gross and old and totally falling apart. While I'm at it, I need new leather sandals that don't kill my arches.

Not one single store at the mall had either of these things for me. Size 8? You can buy any pair of shoes you want. Size 9 and 10 are slim pickin', but there are a few pair for you to try. Size 11? Dream on, sucker.

I am used to doing the walk of shame to the back of the store to find my size in pants, shirts, underwear...I am used to the small selection, the fugliness, the high prices. And I realize that not being able to wear anything I want has everything to do with me and my fondness for cheesecake and corner brownies. If I wanted to (okay, I WANT to, I just need to find my long-misplaced motivation and willpower), I could eventually be a front-of-the-store shopper and have my pick of cute clothes.

But what am I supposed to do about my feet? There's no tootsie diet that I'm aware of. No surgical option--and even if there were, I'm clumsy enough WITH toes, I can only imagine how I'd stumble without them.

Shoe companies, I implore you--MAKE MORE SHOES FOR BIG FEET. Shoes that are available in stores so I don't have to go through the hassle of ordering online. Shoes that aren't sneakers or ugly flat dress shoes.

This post brought to you by the number eleven and the letter "my sore-ass bare feet."

5 comments:

Jenn said...

I dropped 10 pounds once and half a shoe size and a width size....it is possible, but your feet have to WANT to do it.

I'm now in a solid 10 or 11 depending on the shoe. Stinks big time.

Hope you can find some cute shoes soon.

labugga said...

Eh, I found some ugly ones. They're comfy, and they fit, but they're fug. Oh well.

I was a 9 1/2 until the last month I was pregnant with the Boy. Shot up to a 12, and then they shrunk back down to an 11. I've lost 50 pounds since then, but still solidly an 11.

It's a family thing--my grandfather had to special order his shoes.

Steph said...

Im a 9, and while I dont have the problems you do, I still have a hard time finding shoes at the mall that will work and I know a TON of women who wear 9's.

Mrs. Red said...

A-Freakin'-MEN!!!! I wear size 10. I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

I'm a 10, and even that, it's hard to find good shoes sometimes. Even the cute ones that technically come in a large size are clearly DESIGNED for a smaller foot, so I end up in agonizing pain after wearing them. I think the shoe designers are in cahoots with the nursing bra and maternity pants designers.